Being pregnant is super exciting and also super nerve wracking for an expecting mum – as well as this, it’s also really important to know that you need to make sure your oral health is on point. In particular, you need to protect your teeth and gums.
This is mainly because as hormone levels rise during pregnancy, the chance of your gums swelling and bleeding more is also high. To make sure that your oral hygiene is all as it should be, Dr Greg says its a good idea to see your Dentist and have a check up.
During your checkup you should also have preventative dental work such as a scale and clean to avoid gum disease or infections and if necessary any cavity fillings to combat any possible chance of infection.
Dr Gregs 5 Top Tips
- Keep gums and teeth clean by brushing twice a day
- Floss once a day
- Use a soft brush and brush gently with a flouride toothpaste
- Eat healthy food and cut down on sugars – focus on fruit, veggies or nuts!
- Schedule in for oral examinations and cleanings during your pregancy
Oral issues to watch out for
- Ginigvitis – the risk of gum disease is higher during pregnancy – Gingivitis is caused by higher levels of the hormone progesterone which increases blood supply to the gums, which makes them bleed easier.
- Morning Sickness can cause higher acidity which can corrode the surface of your teeth. If you are experiencing this, avoid brushing straight after vomiting and just rinse your mouth out with water.
- Pregnancy Epulus causes red swelling on the gums which in some cases may need to be removed.
Get in Touch with Dr Greg
If you are pregnant and or are experiencing any of the issues listed above, book in for an oral check up with Dentalcare of Forrestfield. Call today on 94532326!
Looking for a Dentist in Forrestfield? Contact Dr Greg Today!